Turkey resumes intercity train services as coronavirus curbs ease

Must Read

Ex British Army officer killed himself after Russia smear campaign

A former British Army officer who trained White Helmets volunteers in Syria and died in mysterious circumstances in Istanbul...

Turkey earthquake: Children, 3 and 14, pulled out ALIVE from rubble

A three-year-old girl who had been trapped for three days under the rubble of a deadly earthquake in a...

Turkey earthquake: Rescuers search into night for survivors

Rescuers search into the night for survivors in Turkey after a powerful 7.0-magnitude earthquake sent people fleeing from their...

ANKARA (Reuters) – Turkey begun operating intercity trains on Thursday after a two-month gap, as it gradually eases coronavirus curbs in a bid to restore normal life and reopen an economy facing the threat of recession.

FILE PHOTO: People enjoy a park, as seniors over 65 years old have been exempted from curfew for six hours during the first day of Eid, amid the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Istanbul, Turkey, May 24, 2020. REUTERS/Umit Bektas

To fight the virus, Turkey had imposed weekend stay-at-home orders, halted most travel between large cities, shut restaurants and schools, and mostly sealed its borders.

But the government has begun rolling back some measures as the spread of the virus slows, saying it aims to normalise life until August.

At 0400 GMT, an intercity train left the capital, Ankara, for Istanbul for the first time since the March 28 halt in services. Trains will make 16 trips daily, although individuals aged 20 or less and 65 or older cannot travel.

Trains would run at half capacity with no ticket price hikes, Transport Minister Adil Karaismailoglu said, adding that passengers would be monitored for virus symptoms.

“Passengers showing COVID-19 symptoms during the trip will be taken to isolation compartments on the trains and handed over to health officials at the first appropriate station,” he told reporters at Ankara’s train station.

The resumption comes after a four-day stay-home order nationwide for the Eid al-Fitr religious holiday was lifted at midnight on Tuesday.

Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said citizens had not fully abided by social distancing steps after the lifting of the order, and urged them to follow precautions against a second wave of infections.

“We are in a period in which the risk continues, it has not lifted,” Koca said in a statement late on Wednesday, adding that while the government was ready to tackle a possible second wave, such an outcome could be prevented.

The virus has killed more than 4,300 people in Turkey, from nearly 160,000 infections. The economy is expected to tip into recession over the containment measures.

Reporting by Tuvan Gumrukcu; Editing by Clarence Fernandez

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Ex British Army officer killed himself after Russia smear campaign

A former British Army officer who trained White Helmets volunteers in Syria and died in mysterious circumstances in Istanbul...

Turkey earthquake: Children, 3 and 14, pulled out ALIVE from rubble

A three-year-old girl who had been trapped for three days under the rubble of a deadly earthquake in a Turkish coastal city has miraculously...

Turkey earthquake: Rescuers search into night for survivors

Rescuers search into the night for survivors in Turkey after a powerful 7.0-magnitude earthquake sent people fleeing from their homes on Greek islands -...

Turkey 7.0-magnitude earthquake causes mini-tsunami in Greek islands

Turkey and Greece were battered by a 7.0-magnitude earthquake today which killed at least eight people, flattened buildings and caused a mini-tsunami which flooded...

Turkish military officer AVOIDS charges for wife’s death in Florida

Turkish military officer who 'beat and held his wife captive in their...

More Articles Like This