2020 football awards axed due to coronavirus

Must Read

Ex British Army officer killed himself after Russia smear campaign

A former British Army officer who trained White Helmets volunteers in Syria and died in mysterious circumstances in Istanbul...

Turkey earthquake: Children, 3 and 14, pulled out ALIVE from rubble

A three-year-old girl who had been trapped for three days under the rubble of a deadly earthquake in a...

Turkey earthquake: Rescuers search into night for survivors

Rescuers search into the night for survivors in Turkey after a powerful 7.0-magnitude earthquake sent people fleeing from their...

ANKARA

One of the most prestigious awards for football player of the year, the Ballon d’Or, will not be given out in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“There won’t be a Ballon d’Or France Football in 2020,” awards organizer France Football magazine said in a statement on Monday.

France Football said the award will skip a year due to the uneven conditions as 2020 is an extraordinary year due to the virus.

Starting in 1956, France Football has awarded its Ballon d’Or trophy annually to the world’s best male football player.

A separate women’s award, Ballon d’Or Feminin, was added in 2018.

Last December, Barcelona’s Argentine superstar Lionel Messi won the Ballon d’Or award for the sixth time.

US midfielder Megan Rapinoe, captain of the US National Soccer Team, won the women’s award.

The Ballon d’Or was organized by FIFA and France Football until 2015. After they split, FIFA has handed out its own awards since 2016.



Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Ex British Army officer killed himself after Russia smear campaign

A former British Army officer who trained White Helmets volunteers in Syria and died in mysterious circumstances in Istanbul...

Turkey earthquake: Children, 3 and 14, pulled out ALIVE from rubble

A three-year-old girl who had been trapped for three days under the rubble of a deadly earthquake in a Turkish coastal city has miraculously...

Turkey earthquake: Rescuers search into night for survivors

Rescuers search into the night for survivors in Turkey after a powerful 7.0-magnitude earthquake sent people fleeing from their homes on Greek islands -...

Turkey 7.0-magnitude earthquake causes mini-tsunami in Greek islands

Turkey and Greece were battered by a 7.0-magnitude earthquake today which killed at least eight people, flattened buildings and caused a mini-tsunami which flooded...

Turkish military officer AVOIDS charges for wife’s death in Florida

Turkish military officer who 'beat and held his wife captive in their...

More Articles Like This